Popular Posts

8/21/2012

2nd And The City: A Series Begins

By Lauren

2nd And The City

This week I headed out to Queens, NY to pick up my "rifle/shotgun permit" from the licensing bureau. For those of you unfamiliar with New York City, this is no small errand. Once there, I was told that I am only allowed to purchase one long gun every three months.

"That's only four firearms a year!" I screamed, in my mind. However, my jaw must have hit the floor, because the clerk behind the counter gave me a confused look. I tried to explain to her that nowhere else in the USA does one need a permit for a long gun.  Now her mouth fell open.  She couldn't believe what I was telling her, (and this is a woman who issues firearm permits to New York residents.)  This just-goes-to-show, that when it comes to firearms, the citizens of New York City are out of touch with the rest of the country's "normal". (Then again, maybe this is how the powers-that-be prefer it.)

I decided to take the conversation a step further.  I asked the woman about holding a NRA "Home Firearms Safety Course" in the city. In order to to teach the class, we would have to have a pistol present.  (This course includes the handling of pistols, but no firing of weapons.) Though I told her that both my boyfriend and myself are firearms instructors, it was clear that not even the teaching of a class would create an exception.  I was further informed that even a New York State Pistol Permit holder, like my boyfriend, could not bring an unloaded pistols into the five boroughs that make up New York City.  I would have to hold the class outside of the city, end of conversation.

I work for FDNY EMS, and many of my co-workers have expressed interest in taking the "Home Firearms Safety Course".  I feel it is unfair ask them to travel so far to take this course, especially with the hours that many of us work. Unfortunately, there is nothing that I can do about it until I obtain my pistol permit.  And even at that juncture, I will not be able to obtain enough firearms in any reasonable amount of time, to properly teach the course. 

I bring this to your attention, because I am concerned that my Mayor is preventing law-abiding citizens from learning the proper use, safety, and handling of firearms.  With this post, I wish to remind those of you who live in states without restrictions like these, that you must not take your rights for granted. We need to continue to fight to keep the Second Amendment intact. Once infringed, it can quickly be ripped out from under us, and we will not get it back. 

    It is already happening here. In New York City, you can not:
  • obtain a concealed carry permit
  • carry a loaded gun in your vehicle
  • Own magazines with a capacity greater than five rounds
    Other rules include:
  • All firearms must be locked and unloaded when not in use.
  • No AR's or AK-47's allowed
  • The M1 Garand, which is a piece of WWII history from is forbidden, because it has a 10 round magazine.

We need to stick together and make sure our voices are constantly heard.  I'm speaking as a women and as an American. I am surrounded by those who would classify me with felons and criminals, even though I am only concerned for our safety.  I know I am not alone in this but keeping up the fight in this environment is draining.  It is heart breaking to be a minority in one's own hometown. 

©2012 ArmedCandy,LLC
                              

ArmedCandy also Recommends:



More from Lauren
Check Out
ArmedCandy Merch

See our
Press Page

5 comments:

TL671 said...

Actually the M1 Garand uses an eight round clip. And in this case the term clip is appropriate, as the rounds are loaded into a clip which is then inserted into the magazine.

NoCigar said...

I live in Westchester, and I have had a full carry for 30+ years. I work in the city and will be applying for the city permit soon. Wish me luck.

CityPistol said...

good luck, although you will not be able to obtain a CCW unless you own a business and can prove you carry $5,000 in cash on you every day.

Von said...

These are long-standing NYC-only laws. You can get a City CCW, IF you know the right people &/or have $$. As for me, if ever I have need to travel to NYC environs (unlikely), given that I have a NY State pistol permit, I will take my chances IF caught & prosecuted!

Anonymous said...

Good day very cool site!! Man .. Beautiful .. Wonderful .
. I'll bookmark your blog and take the feeds additionally? I'm satisfied to find so
many helpful information right here in the submit, we need work out more techniques in this regard, thanks for sharing.
. . . . .
Also visit my page forevernsyncfans.com

Post a Comment